Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Park City Point 2 Point


Worst day on the bike EVER......and last......for a while.

The only reason why I would ever consider getting back on anything with two wheels would be to get the bad taste out of my mouth left from Saturday.

Last year I completed this race after crashing at mile 7 and riding the remaining 70 miles with a dislocated shoulder and torn rotator cuff yet I think I suffered more this year than last.

Not sure what accounted for the suffering. Some days the body...and mind just don't show up and Saturday they were nowhere to be found.

Felt OK for the first 20 miles apart from some relatively benign crashes, one of which I found myself tangled up in my bike and after hearing a sizzling noise looked down to see my red hot brake rotor searing into my calf. My bubbled skin fell off throughout the day. At around mile 30, I was still in the top 15 but realized that I had no legs and no mental acuity. That was about the time I came across Trevor who seemed to be in the same boat. He had realized that his body and mind were delinquent as well and was not going to finish in the top five, which would be a very realistic prospect on any other day, and so he pulled off the course to wait for me. We decided to limp in together and make the best of it. After a couple hours I could tell that Trevor had found at least a little recovery and could have ridden off but decided to pull my shattered carcass in to the bitter end. There is no question that I would quit otherwise.

I have never felt so impotent, unmotivated, burned out and "over" racing than I did on Sat. Maybe someday I'll find some satisfaction in having just finished on a day when I clearly had nothing to bring to a race, but for now I can only thank Trevor for his help and thank heaven that its over.







1 comment:

  1. That race gutted us both. I could never leave a friend to suffer alone, esp when I was acutely aware of the suffering you were going through, and the fact that you'd done the exact same thing for me earlier in the season. I thought it was a pretty epic, and simultaneously anticlimactic way to end a fun and grueling race calendar. A year to remember for sure...

    ReplyDelete